anne waldman and jürgen berlakovich discuss the current global political situation, the history of the jack kerouac school of disembodied poetics and its connection to the schule für dichtung – vienna poetry school (sfd). they talk about the general influence of the digital revolution on our lives and explore various general aspects and trends in the arts and politics in the 20th and 21st centuries.
anne waldman is a poet, performer, professor, literary curator and cultural activist. she creates radical hybrid forms for the long poem, both serial and narrative, as with marriage: a sentence and structure of the world compared to a bubble. she is (together with allen ginsberg) the co-founder of the jack kerouac school of disembodied poetics in boulder, colorado/usa, where she has continued to work as a distinguished professor of poetics and artistic director of its summer writing program. she is editor of the beat book and co-editor of civil disobediences: poetics and politics in action, beats at naropa and cross worlds: transcultural poetics. she is a chancellor emeritus of the academy of american poets. for her 1000 page feminist cultural intervention the iovis trilogy: colors in the mechanism of concealment she won the pen center 2021 award for poetry.
waldman performs and lectures all around the world, for instance at the jaipur literature festival in india, casa del lago festival in mexico city and poetas in madrid. she has been performing recently in collaboration with meredith monk and with her own fast speaking music collective.
beginning in 1992, she led classes at the schule für dichtung (sfd) and in 2012, anne waldman held the the laudatory speech on the occasion of sfd’s 20th anniversary.
books & pamphlets
- bard, kinetic, coffee house press, 2023
- become a midnight star, arrebato libros, 2022.sanctuary, spuyten duyvil, 2020
- a punch in the gut of a star (with emma gomis), 2022
- blood moon, (with archie rand) freight + volume, 2021.
- songs of the sons and daughters of buddha (translated by andrew schelling and anne waldman), shambhala publications, 2020
- plutonian ode, fast speaking music, 2021
- sciamachy (vinyl), fast speaking music, 2020
film and video
- evening of the day, collaboration by no land & anne waldman, 2020.
- soldateque/soldiering with dreams of wartime, fast speaking music, 2012
classes held at sfd – vienna poetry school:
- anne waldman at sfd on the occasion of 30 years vienna poetry school in 2022: https://sfd.at/en/program/2022/entanglement-poetics-hybrid-of-protest-and-performance?set_language=en&cl=en
you are listening to a recording from 11/02/2023.